An sordid confession

There are those out there who will tell you that before you write about a character, you should know everything about them. This knowledge helps you decide how they would react to any given situation. It means you know what you're writing about. Well, I've written three Logan McRae novels now, and each of them features Detective Inspector Insch and his sweetie habit.

And you know what: I haven't got a clue what the man's first name is. Not a Scooby.

This never mattered before, because no one was in a position to use his first name in conversation. It never came up, so it wasn't important. DI Steel, on the other hand, was going to be called Robyn. Until I came to my senses and realised there was no way I'd get away with the terrible pun it would make for a police woman's name. But I was still bloody tempted. But she used her first name when talking to a suspect in the second book, so suddenly she became Roberta. Insch on the other hand...

Book Number The Fourth is going to have a lot to do with a case Insch was involved in when he first became a beat bobby, so people are going to use his first name. And I don't know what the hell it is. He's not a Brian, or a Stephen. Or a Frederic. Christopher doesn't sound right either, and I have a main character called John in the third book, so it can't be that.

I don't know why, but now that I have a good picture of what the man is like, I'm finding it difficult to get a name that actually fits. And my trusty CASSELL DICTIONARY OF FIRST NAMES is no help either. That way lies prevarication and much getting sod all done.

He's got to have a first name though, doesn't he? Anyone got any ideas? Does he seem like a Desmond to you?