Abridge too far...

Well, no, not really, but you know, the need for a snappy title outweighs the need for the truth. Anyway, today and yesterday I are been mostly writing during the day and proof reading the abridged audio text for DYING LIGHT at night. Yesterday it was a 01:00 stop and I’ve just finished today’s little venture into the fun and frolic-filled world of abridgement.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: cutting a 400 page book down to 205 takes some skill. That’s nearly 50% gone. WHOOOOSH! How the hell do you cut half a book away and still have it make sense? Well, in order to answer this question I’ve conned Kati Nicholl – abridger to the stars – and she’s going to do an interview thing for the website. Which will be a first for me. I’m not an old hand at the interview malarkey like Sandra. An old, wrinkly, smelling of lavender and stale wee, hand like Sandra. Old and stinky… I’ve only ever been on the interviewee side of the table. So it’s likely to be a bumpy ride.

But tonight I have finished typing up mine comments and have emailed them off to the Powers That Be. Now All I have to worry about is meeting my deadline. And the fact that my nosectomy has been dragged forwards by a week. So I’ll only be back from Left Coast Crime for a couple of days before someone tries to climb up my nose with a sharp knife.

So if you’re at LCC, just remember – I’ll need anaesthetising. And beer works much better than a blow to the back of the head.