Less or more...

Today I was planning on writing something very unpleasant. Something nasty and visceral and a bit on the macabre side. But in the end I didn’t, pulled back at the last second and left it in darkness. I’m still not sure it was the right thing to do – after all, in the plan it says, “Write Nasty Thing Here!” Mind you, the plan says a lot of things…

I did a big plan, which I don’t usually do, and it’s beginning to chafe a bit. I’ve already decided to add in another day, throwing everything else out by 24 hours. So maybe it’s time to ditch the plan? I’m not using it to try selling the book as an unfinished work, so what’s the point in having it stapled to my forehead? Why not loosen up a bit and have some fun?

You see – this is why I could never do those writer-for-hire gigs one keeps hearing about (and no, I’ve never been offered one, and I don’t see why anyone would look at me as a good candidate for that in the first place, I’m just, you know, talkin’ here). I think I’d probably go mad having to stick rigidly to some plan, especially one that has to be approved by a committee. Mind you, I suppose one should never say ‘never’ (even though you have to say it twice to say that), who knows what the future will bring – maybe it will be marshmallows, maybe it will be lemon and black pepper pickled onions? Both are nice, but not at the same time. Unless you’re pregnant I suppose, then all bets are off.

Oh, look – a bee!