Three nights of drunken debauchery

Well, probably not so much of the debauchery, but plenty of drunkenness. The Harrogate crime festival is now less than a week away. It’ll be the first time I’ve ever attended one of these things, so not entirely sure what to expect. And as I’m going to be on a panel next Friday, I have even less idea.

I’m on with Louise Anderson, Catherine Sampson and Ilona van Mil, three lady writers and yours truly. Hmm, with my reputation? What were they thinking of? Mind you I’ll bet Val McDermid (chairing) will keep hanky-panky and other things that rhyme with ‘bondelling’ to a minimum ;}#

Then there’s all the drinking – Opening party on Thursday, drinks after the event on Friday (God knows I’ll need one after being on the panel. I used to be the kind of guy who’d think nothing of stripping off to my golden boxer shorts and dance about on stage with 20 or 30 lovely young ladies, but those days are long gone.) and then a super-duper champagne reception on the Saturday, courtesy of the lovely people at HC. Hurrah!

I also get to finally meet The Rickards, and I’m betting he’s even shorter in real life than he looks on his blog. Teeeeeeeny tiny. With big white trainers. Like a cartoon mouse, only without the ears. Not sure about the tail. I don’t know why, but I have the sneaking suspicion that this will prompt even more drinking.

The only thing I think we can be 100% sure of is that by the time I get off the train on Sunday (after a delightful 9 hour trip up from Harrogate, changing at Leeds, Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen) I will be a lot poorer, suffering from some sort of cold, and with a liver the size of a medium-sized Labrador.

Sounds like a good weekend all round then. Anyone else going?