And it’s away...

Well, that’s TDL sent off to the editing gurus at HarperCollins, so I suppose it’s time to kick back and have a cold one.

And yet…

Is there more I could do to the thing? Probably. But then my deadline isn’t so much creeping closer as dashing headlong, waving a rabid ocelot over its head and shouting, “I’m gonna git ya!” Or something like that. I suppose I could just keep on tweaking till the cows come home, but would it actually help, or hurt the book? I sometimes get the feeling that excessive editing takes all the lumps out of a story - no one likes a LUMPY book – and yet there’s something not right about smoothness… What would you rather have: a fillet steak with garlic mash and petit poi, or the same thing all wodged into a blender and whizzed until there’s not one single lump left?

Well, I’ve got most of tomorrow and all day Thursday to completely screw things around. If I want to. Probably shouldn't. But I could. If I wanted. It’s a bit like having an interesting scab: you know you shouldn’t pick, but...

And the deadline thing is kinda arbitrary. Thursday the 30th June. Day before the big HC pish-up for people what had got their book published. My bet is everyone will be too busy lining their stomachs with yoghurt and vitamin C to bother about what some bearded numpty has submitted. But I’ve always beaten my deadlines as a point of pride - so if I’m going to do anything it has to be NOW!

How’s that for rambling claptrap?