On sober reflection…

Well, not all that sober, but alcohol free anyway. As there’s still no sign of the interview on the Scotland on Sunday website, I decided to take matters into my own hands and type the damn thing up myself. Fiona at HC hadn’t read it, and neither had Agent Phil (small, but wiry), so it was going to be the only way they could bask in my reflected glory (ahem) or shout at me for saying stupid things to the national press.

Going back over it – as one has to while typing in all one thousand, three hundred and thirteen words (not including the huge bit on my fellow interviewee Lee Hutcheon, because it’s not about me and that’s kinda the point of StuartMacbride.com – surprisingly enough) – I realise that I’ve maybe painted an unfairly dim picture of the article in my previous post. Yes there’s a bit of ‘Edinburgh does everything better than a pokey, wee hole like Aberdeen’, but mostly it’s very good. Well written and it does say nice things about the book, which is all I wanted in the first place. Though, now I come to think of it, Aidan doesn’t actually say if he liked the thing or not. Hmm…

I think reading about yourself in print – from my extremely limited experience – is much the same as hearing yourself on tape. Everyone, unless they’re a monster egomaniac, is horrified: “I don’t sound like that!” they shout, before running off with their fingers in their ears. Only where one can’t argue that ‘the tape recorder never lies’, an article is different. It’s not an accurate, faithful, objective representation of what’s been said; it’s been filtered through someone else’s head. The journalist will have snipped and edited and shifted stuff about a bit, maybe even made some things up to covey the sense of what was said, but without the mindless rambling of the subject. And when that’s done the duty editor gets his, or her, editorial claws into it.

I suppose it’s only human nature to latch onto the things you think are negative, forgetting about all the good stuff in the process. Bloody silly, but human nature nonetheless.