This week I are been mostly…

ColdFusioning up the old (or rather new) website. Now that everything works as nice flat XHTML files with all the fancy stuff happening stylesheet-side I’m going through it making sure all the content can come from the database back-end. Only trouble is that I decided to base this all on a previous database driven website I did (back in the day) and I can’t remember a bloody thing about how it all went together. Like He Who Shall Not Be Named, I too take a pretty intuitive approach to programming. There’s logic in there, but I tend to make leaps of faith the whole time, leaving it nearly impossible to decipher what the hell is going on: it works and it’s slick, that’s all you need to know. Not being professionally trained (or even unprofessionally trained) I go by feel, rather than knowledge. This means I’ve managed to break many an experienced, professional programmer’s head, as they look at an application and say, “No! It can’t do that! It’s impossible! How the hell did you get it to work?” Sometimes I know, but frequently, like John and his Excel spreadsheet, I haven’t a sodding clue. But it works, that’s all that matters.

Only problem (well, not the only one – after all I managed to completely forget how to do LEFT JOINs via ODBC to an Access database {Norman hasn’t figured out how to set-up separate SQL server databases on his box yet} for almost two hours yesterday) is that the site I’m currently cannibalising was written almost three years ago when I was programming every day, and it’s pretty much the most alarmingly intuitive and configurable thing I’d ever programmed. So it’s doing my nut in, trying to figure out how it all hangs together.

I get the feeling it’s going to be a long week...