An confession of sorts…

Well I suppose I should come clean – yesterday’s travelogue-style posting isn’t typical of my normal writing. Much, much calmer and more verbose than any of the books I’ve produced, and with a lot less swearing too. James can vouch for this: he’s read most, if not all of them. But it was fun and very claming. Never written first person, present tense before. After a crappy night’s sleep and a crappy drive to the airport it was perfect therapy to yet another flight down to Guildford. And believe it or not: I actually like Guildford, in a strange, masochistic way. But I enjoyed the travel-writing style posting, even if no one else did (given the complete dearth of comments – except for James’s sarcastic ‘you really should be a writer you know...’), and as it’s my blog I can do what I bloody well like. So there.

I had been planning to keep a diary of sorts for any publicity things I ended up doing. Kind of a ‘join me on tour’ thing, only with a much less cheesy title. Stick it up as part of the old soon-to-be-started website. And let’s face it: I’m going to have to get my finger out on that one if it’s going to be ready for the Norwegian launch at the start of March.

There are two things that have been keeping me away from doing the site. One is the fact that any time spent websiting is time that should be spent getting book 2 (whatever the damn thing is going to end up being called) finished ahead of the deadline, so I can con HarperCollins into thinking I’m reliable and can be trusted to turn out two books a year. Mmmmm, standalone…

Reason number the second is that I’ve been waiting for Aberdeen to do its usual WEATHER FROM HELL thing. OK, and I also didn’t have a digital camera, or an internet connection, but mostly I blame the weather. For the site I have decided upon a Cold Granite virtual tour of Aberdeen, featuring photos of the real-life locations mentioned in the book. And as very little of the book is actually madey-up, at least as far as places are concerned, that means pretty much everywhere mentioned in the book. And if possible I want to photograph them in the pissing rain and falling snow. ONLY ABERDEEN ISN’T PLAYING! OK, it’s windier than a nun after a cauliflower curry, but the really dreadful weather we had so much of over the last two years hasn’t arrived yet. That said, come February we’re all going to be skiing to work and need rescuing by dipsomaniac St. Bernards.

Of course, posting snapshots of places in the book has the drawback that people can then look at the picture, read the description, and then say, “What a load of old shite: looks nothing like he said…” on the other hand I think it’d be nice to do an Aberdeen show and tell. For those people unlucky enough never to have graced its silvery streets.

Other than that, I was also going to do the usual bio – not looking forward to doing that, bigging myself up was never my scene man – dates for things, reports from things, reviews, and what the hell I was actually thinking of when I wrote the damn thing. All linked into the blog, which would be getting a major stylesheet overhaul as well so they at least look like they’re part of the same thing. Or vaguely related.

So, anything else you want from a write-ist’s website? No naked picture though, I’m shy…