Eat, drink and be merry…

For tomorrow you go back to Aberdeen. Well, it was a great night last night. After a pretty iffy start – due to public transport from Guildford into the centre of London being an absolute disaster. By the time delays on the underground came into play there wasn’t even time to drop off the suitcase and laptop at the hotel – straight to the HarperCollins offices for me, wedged between some fat man’s armpit and someone who had eaten WAY too much garlic. Maybe they were some sort of balding vampire hunter? And I’m pretty certain someone was practising frottage against my suitcase by the time I got to Hammersmith. And then, when I got there, someone had stolen the HC reception and stuck it way round the back, for maximum tromping through the rain when you’re already a sweaty lump from the game of mobile sardines that is the London underground.

The sardine thing came into play again, when I got to Jane’s office: packed full of smiling people drinking fiz. The smiling may well have been down to the vast quantities of booze doing the rounds, but everyone was extremely nice. Which I’m only slowly getting used to. Being a Project Manager I’m used to people grumping and moaning and wandering about with faces like skelpt arses. So a whole room of nice people being nice and smiling and saying nice things, is like stepping into some bizarre horror movie. And for some reason Damon, from international sales and a dab hand at pouring the old bubbly, always introduces himself like I won’t have a clue who he is. I think the whole team was there and it was pretty damn great. And I got to drink heaps of fiz! Hurrah!

The restaurant was pretty damn good as well: just me and five lovely ladies (don’t tell Fiona!) ;}# All in all, a really nice night. I can thoroughly recommend landing a three book deal with a top-notch publishing company!

Now all I have to figure out is what to do in London all day while I wait for my flight…

Labels: